Digital Nomads in Costa Rica
If you like tropical weather, there’s no reason why you wouldn’t adore this beautiful Central American country. Anyone may work in Costa Rica with a calm mind thanks to the year-round nice climate, delicious cuisine, and beautiful scenery. It won’t let you down when it comes to taking a vacation from work! Costa Rica is a perfect location for digital nomads thanks to its excellent internet connectivity and outdoor activities like surfing and hiking.
Who is a digital nomad?
A digital nomad is a person who lives a nomadic lifestyle and is location-independent. In our modern world of high technology, complicated by the pandemic situation, this way of living is becoming increasingly popular nowadays. Digital nomads utilize technology to conduct their jobs. Telecommuting here is the priority rather than being physically present at the office. In other words, they work remotely and make their money from another country while living in a country where Immigration offers a digital nomad permit program, like Costa Rica.
What kind of jobs is possible for a digital nomad?
- Digital marketing;
- Graphic design;
- Editing skills;
- Creative skills;
- Organization and planning;
- Architecture-related skills, etc.
What are the advantages of working as a digital nomad in Costa Rica?
There are certain benefits of becoming a digital nomad. For example, in flexible office space, you can work from anywhere with the internet. You do not need to follow the company’s dress code anymore. Work wearing clothes that are comfortable for you! Moreover, you are the boss of your own time and schedule, and you do not waste your valuable time on traffic jams on the way to work and back home. Therefore, it leads to less stressful working conditions. Everything is becoming more flexible, so you can enjoy your free time and explore Costa Rica. On social media, digital nomads are portrayed as perpetual travelers working in exotic locations and living a lifestyle that most people can only dream of. Moving around a lot, meeting new people, establishing new connections, discovering the beauty of Costa Rica, getting away from the same place routine, and working simultaneously – doesn’t it sound exciting?
How can you become a digital nomad in Costa Rica without experience?
Are you thinking of drastically changing your life and becoming a digital nomad in Costa Rica, but you have little experience? Don’t know what to start with? Here are some great ideas for you:
- Teach English Online. If you are a native English speaker with a bachelor’s degree, this is a great opportunity for you to earn money online.
- Translation & Interpretation. Do you speak several languages? This is a perfect chance to use your knowledge in this sphere.
- Online Tutoring. Are you a good specialist and ready to share your experience with others? Go for it if you have a passion for both teaching and traveling!
- Content Writing. A lot of companies are looking for people with good writing skills. If you qualify their needs, your dream of lying on the beautiful beach writing inspirational content may come true!
- Customer Service or Social Media Managers are getting more and more required today. If you are a frequent social media user, do not miss your chance to make money from your hobby.
- Start a blog or do freelance work. There are so many different types of freelance jobs you can find online.
Digital nomad visa
So, are you ready to make Costa Rica your home? You can combine vacation mode and work remotely at the same time. In addition, stay legal in Costa Rica using the type of visa Costa Rica offers to its visitors to stay, live, and work here. This is a non-resident “Digital Nomad Visa” that includes a partner and children under the age of 25.
On July 04, 2022, the president of Costa Rica, Rodrigo Chaves, signed off on the implementing regulations (Ley 10.008), which is believed to be a key to the tourism recovery from the pandemic. This law is now fully effective!
Digital Nomad Visa Specifications
Remote workers can get a 1-year visa that can be extended for another year in Costa Rica if the applicant spends at least 180 days in the country during the first year. The good news is that they will be allowed to open local bank accounts and not be subject to local income taxes because they are not making money in Costa Rica.
Among other advantages that are mentioned in the new law are*:
- You will be able to drive in Costa Rica using your home country’s driver’s license;
- This visa includes exemption of import taxes for the importation of computers and other technical equipment needed to perform the digital nomad visa holder’s job and on up to two land, sea, or air vehicles. Those vehicles can be for the use of the visa holder, their partner, or dependents.
* These benefits are subject to upcoming implementing regulations by the respective government departments.
What are the requirements to become a digital nomad in Costa Rica?
To qualify for Costa Rica’s digital nomad visa, you will need the following:
- Proof of a consistent monthly salary, fixed income, or average monthly income of $3,000 USD or more in the previous year. If the applicant wants to apply for benefits for their entire family, their income can be pooled with that of a spouse or other family member and must total at least $4,000 USD.
- Get medical insurance that covers the applicant for their stay in Costa Rica.
- Pay a Government fee to apply for a non-resident visa as a Worker or Remote Service Provider. -Written by Glenn Tellier (Founder of CRIE and Grupo Gap).[email protected]
Fill out the form below to determine your residency category. Or click here!
Select all options that apply to you
Pensionado (Pension/Disability) Category
Rentista (Fixed Income) Category
Inversionista (Investor) Category
Family ties with a Costa Rican Resident/Citizen Category
My residency company let me down
I am not sure.